Beverages for Everyone! and Other Summer Stuff

 I know that you know that I am not a fan of summer. Especially summer in Houston. I think they should just go ahead and change the name to Ickfest and be done with it. It's too hot, and it's too humid and it's also too hot. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I will say that I am trying very hard to find some good things about this very long season! So here's my Good Things About Summer list:

1.    The produce is great

That's all I have so far. Whether you love it or hate it though, summer in Houston is here! Now you may think you remember all of your important summer survival skills from last year, but if you're anything like me, the horrors of summer here just dawn new every year; it's that blocking-it-out-as-a-traumatic-memory thing that your helpful brain does. So let's review, shall we?

Summer Survival Skills

  1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If you've ever had sunstroke or heat exhaustion then you know, and if you haven't, well don't start now. Trust me on this one. 
  2. Take advantage of all that fabulous summer produce! Tomatoes, berries, avocados, grapes, herbs, all that delicious stuff. Salads, smoothies, grilled vegetables - their time to shine is definitely here.
  3. Put on sunscreen. It doesn't matter what shade of skin you have, the UV rays are real, and real brutal. Houston is ridiculously close to the sun.
  4. Prepare for Hurricane Season. Storms are going to hit. It's not if, it's when. Stock up on non-perishables, grab a couple of coolers, maybe a propane campstove (hello coffee!!!), small battery-operated personal fans, flashlights, lighters or matches, batteries and device chargers to survive power outages. Get your Evacuate-In-A-Hurry Kit ready with cash, medications, food and meds for pets, important papers and irreplaceable family photos and valuables. Make sure you have a supply of necessary medications on hand in case you can't get out due to flooding and/or power outages. This includes wine and vodka. Kidding! sort of. Check to make sure your windows have screens, and repair any that need mending. Nights are especially horrid if you can't open your windows during power outages, and the mosquitos? No thank you.
  5. If you walk (like I do) or run (like I most definitely do NOT), try and do it early before the worst part of the heat hits. Take your phone with you.
  6. DO NOT LEAVE PETS OR KIDS IN A HOT CAR! Ever. Not even for a minute. And if you see this happening, call 911. Little beings can die very, very quickly in a hot car.
  7. Enjoy the evenings! Cool cocktails or mocktails on a shaded patio at sunset is Very Civilized.
  8. Remember, summer too shall pass! Eventually.
Speaking of cocktails, this is my summer favorite. I am not a mixologist, so I keep it super simple...



Lemonade, vodka, fresh berries (sliced strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, whatever you like) and fresh mint. If you want to get all crazy fancy, muddle or bruise some mint leaves and mix in the drink, then garnish with an additional sprig for prettiness. The prettiness is important. Bonus: when you finish the drink, there is Boozy Fruit at the bottom. Yeah, I know. You're welcome.

On my patio, everyone gets a beverage! Feeders for the hummingbirds...



Cool rain for the plants. This is a baby from a cutting of my mom's, by way of my generous niece Stephanie. It wasn't happy for a while, but now it's growing again...


Everybody gets a drink, except the mosquitos. I'm sure some scientist will argue the point, but I see no bio or ecological reason for those little horrors to exist! Those damn vampire bugs just carry disease and they go straight for my neck and ankles. When I'm sitting outside, this little guy is my secret weapon...


Take off his little hat and light him up. Yes, he is full of mosquito repellent chemicals, but sometimes you have to bring out the Big Guns...


Moving on to a more appetizing subject, this is my favorite Summer Salad. Long ago, it started off as a simple Insalata Caprese, which is traditionally made with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Still one of my favorite salads, but of course I started messing around with it. What if I slipped some avocado in there? What if I change the vinaigrette? I kind of wanted something I could make as more of an entree. And here's what happened...



Today's version had sliced avocados, tomatoes (I like little sweet ones here - cherry, grape, etc.), fresh mozzarella, herbs and a sweet vinaigrette. I used almost all the herbs in my garden - sweet basil, lime basil, peppermint and chocolate mint - everything but the thyme and rosemary. In a salad, I don't usually chop the herbs, I just like the full leaves. For a sweet vinaigrette, I like Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette or a homemade mint & lemon version (if I can find that damn recipe).

And then a good smattering of cracked pepper on top...


If I'm having this for dinner, I might also put some grilled chicken in there, some pumpkin seeds, and whatever else sounds good!

Oooh, before I go, I have to show you my thrift store find! My sister and I had a fun day on Saturday going to some of our favorite treasure-hunting places: the Charity Guild, Catholic Charities Guild, and the Bluebird Circle shop. The shops are opening up again, and I haven't had a chance to go since I moved back here from New York. We had so much fun, and I picked up this treasure...

Naturally I forgot to include something in the photo for scale, but it's about 31" high and 18" wide. You could use it for a lot of different things indoors or out, but I'm going to hang it on the wall of my patio and plant some succulents in the box. I might paint it a bright blue and rough up the finish with some sandpaper. Or I might not.

Whether this is your favorite season, or you just try and endure it, I hope you find a few fun ways to pass these long, hot months.

💗 Bonnie

Comments

Popular Posts